Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I should be working.....



but instead I'm posting about Thurl Bailey!

I've heard some office gossip over the past few months that Thurl Bailey has an office in the building next to ours. I hate it when people try to trick you about stuff, so I haven't really paid much attention to the rumors. Besides, like I know that much about basketball stars.

Then one morning, not too long ago, as I was getting out of my car, I looked down the sidewalk and saw a tall black man get out of his vehicle and walk into the building next door. HHmmm, maybe the rumors were true.

So today, I'm sitting in my office, working hard, when I hear this commotion down the hall. Donna, our beloved receptionist, and everyone's mom and grandma in the office, has a autographed picture of Thurl Bailey and two of his CD's (see picture above). Story is: Donna is a notary public and often has various people come from the buildings around us to have her sign and stamp documents.
Yesterday, this man from next door came in to have her sign some stuff. So she decided to ask him if Thurl Bailey worked in his building. He replied yes, he had an office there. Today, he comes to the front door and tells Donna to come outside, he wanted to show her something. He brought Thurl to meet Donna! She was SO excited about it (she is a Jazz fan after all). He said he was going to come over and see her more often.

Random post, I know, but you've got to understand Donna. She is usually the first one at the office, hardly ever takes a lunch break or any time off for that matter, answers the phones, deals with all types of clients, has to lie to a few (ex. "Tell them I'm in a meeting."), etc. She takes care of all of us at the office, bringing in treats, having "treat" day in which she brings in enough food to feed an army, and buys more lunches than she should (she is one stubborn woman!). And the thing she has looked forward to the most is seeing her friend, Keith, the mail man. Keith is a cool guy because he would chat with Donna everyday. She would just light up when he came in. Well, Keith just retired and so Donna doesn't get to see her friend anymore. So this little treat today was so perfect for her. She totally deserves it!

I started this post saying I was gonna talk about Thurl Bailey, but really it was a tribute to one of my favorite people. I love you Donna!

2 comments:

Amy Marble said...

Sounds like a great day at work! That was a nice post about your friend too.

Kristi said...

I loved it. It reminded me of my own Donna, except her name is Marta, it sounds just like her. I guess it takes a special kind of person to be a CPA recepitionist. Marta pulled off the whole "He's in a meeting." so well, it was fantastic!

Now get back to work. For heaven sakes tax day is less than a week a way! :)